Monday, November 24, 2008

Which Church

Front page headline, right in the middle of the page, November 24, 2008, Salt Lake Tribune "Vandalism & the church". The article goes on to question whether the recent rash of incidents at LDS churches are tied to their support of Prop 8 in California.

The point I am making is that the editor of the Tribune fell victim to the same bias that pervades most everything we do in this valley. When we say "the church" we obviously mean the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I think its OK for us to use that shorthand in conversation but I believe it is sloppy to assume we all understand the reference when it is presented on the front page of the newspaper.
The people at the Tribune should be more careful. Of course this is just another in a long line of poor editing choices we continually see in the Tribune. I can't wait for my Christmas gifts from Eastern relatives so I can read the New York Times or Boston Globe articles they've stuffed in the boxes as wrapping.

No comments: