Sunday, March 20, 2011

Nice Upgrade

I was set to go to England on Saturday.  I got to the gate in SLC and waited.  The flight was oversold so they asked for volunteers who might want to go later. 

I really didn't need to be there on Sunday, but I wanted to get there to rest up for work on Monday.  Usually the flight is such a pig. Crowded, uncomfortable, like steerage on a turn of the century steamship, only without the discentary.  I usually don't get much sleep.  This makes for a bad first day on the ground.

I told the gate agent I had some flexibility.  She offered me a voucher for travel later and an upgrade to first class.  She said she could only give me first class on the US leg of the flight.  After some proper schmoozing she agreed to see if a seat was available in first class from Atlanta to Manchester.  It was.

I am now in the Delta Crown Room on Sunday waiting for my first class flight to Manchester.  Guess what else you get with a first class ticket?  I trip to the Crown Room.  I could get used to this.

The cool thing about a first class seat to Europe is that you can sleep.  The seats are twice as wide as the coach seats and they recline most of the way.  There are more flight attendants and fewer screaming kids. 

I may actually get to England feeling the same as I would have if I had arrived on Sunday having suffered through coach. 

Ah, to sleep, perchance to dream. 

No comments: