Sunday, September 26, 2010

Spain Motorcycle Trip

Today I'm back in my own home and seem to be adjusting well.  I slept through the night last night and am not falling asleep today, yet.

I do have a few lingering effects from the bike ride.  My hands are swollen, my butt hurts and I feel weird not wearing layers of plastic motorcycle gear. 

Here are a few pictures from the trip. Basically we rode 100 to 150 miles a day across mostly dirt roads with a few trails thrown in.  The trails consisted of single track paths through the woods or up a mountainside.  It provided a lot of fun and challenge but was separated with some long stretches of relaxing riding. 

Every 20 miles or so we would come down into a small village and ride through the narrow streets.  The houses and the towns are all ancient relics of a past age when they needed to be close for defense.  The streets are coblestone and there always was a tower at the center of the town.  I never got tired of the beauty of the country side and these villages.

I really enjoyed the trip. I wished we had stopped more often but I feel like I got a realistic look at the countryside and the people.  We rode through a lot of fields on the way up the mountains so I saw and smelled a lot of farm animals.  There also was a lot of forest and logging operations.  I wouldn't thought of Spain as a wood producing country but I guess it is. 

One of the neatest things was when we came on a goat hearder and his charges.  We stopped and tried to converse with him.  We communicated through lots of hand jestures and attempts at single words in Spanish.  We talked for about an half hour.  He was very pleasant.  It doesn't get much more local than that.  






I can't wait for next year.

1 comment:

marijke rossi said...

I am so jelous. Next time you have to take me.