Monday, November 15, 2010

Anal Cinema

Not what you think it is.

I finally went and got a colonoscopy.  I have been pestered by my wife and doctor for two years to get one.  What really did it for me was the television ads with a television reporter who died at 58 from colon cancer because he didn't get a colonoscopy.  That really got to me.

The worst part was the 24 hours before.  I couldn't eat anything, which for me is impossible.  If I don't have something to eat every two hours I go crazy, really. I'm hypoglycemic and I get light headed and grumpy - more grumpy than usual some would say.  I keep a protein bar in my brief case so if I'm at work and can't get to lunch for a while I won't go crazy.

If that weren't bad enough, about 6 hours before the procedure I have to take a stool softener and about 4 times the normal amount of laxative.  It was a good thing I didn't go to work that day.  When they say everything comes out, everything comes out.

When I got there they gave me the sedative and literally the next thing I knew the nurse was putting my glasses on.  I didn't feel any discomfort and I wasn't washed out like I have been with other procedures.  I highly recommend it to everyone who is of age or has a history.  The alternative is much, much, much worse.

I got my results back a few days later, with pictures, and all is well.  I don't have to go back for 10 years.  Now I can watch those public service announcements without puckering.

No comments: