Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Job

 I started a new job today.  I haven't had an employer for almost ten years and I am working to adjust to it.

I have been an independent contractor for a while, enjoying the benefits/drawbacks of that business model for a while.  I could go skiing or travel when I wanted but if I didn't work I wouldn't get paid.

I also felt like I was static.  I wasn't moving forward.  I wasn't part of something bigger with goals, dreams or aspirations.  I didn't dream of growing my firm to be sold to a larger firm.  I just provided services to a few clients and kept my head above water.  I did ski a lot.

One of my clients grew to the point that they needed full time help.  They made me an offer last month, and  after some back and forth, I took it.

I now have someplace to go each day.  I have goals and objectives.  I am not just a hired gun, but part of the team.   I can see my future with this company and I hope to be here a while. 

I will miss the ability to come and go as I please.  I already turned down a ski day on Friday.  I didn't think it was a good idea to take a vacation day during my first full week of employment.

1 comment:

Max Sartin said...

Congrats on the new job, you'll have to tell me all about it on Sunday.