Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Glimmer of Hope and Meat

I saw a glimmer of hope in my aspiration to be at the top of the Srossi blog alert box. I am third! And in all fairness to the blog gods I have been counting my days blogging since my first blog made last Saturday, this being the 8th day since then. In actuality I have been consistently blogging since last Thursday so this is my 4th day. I feel a rush of adrenlin to stay the course so I can achieve my goal.

If you didn't notice it, In-N-Out Burgers of SoCal recently opened an outlet in Draper. It was all over the news. Meat eficinados gathered the night before outside the establishment so they could be the first to say they had a double/double or monster style burger. I am a huge fan of INO but always had to wait until we traveled to Vegas or St. George to partake.

I did take to the "replacement" burger joint that opened last year in Fort Union; 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. That place was packed for the first six months and then, as the SLC dining out faithful will often do, they find other newer options to lavish their attention on.

Well when INO announced their grand opening less than a 4 hour car ride away I instinctively checked my cash situation and headed for the car. Of course this was Saturday night at 6:30 pm (for those who haven't noticed this is optimum feeding time for the dining out faithful) so I was frustrated by the prospect of waiting 4 hours or being turned away.

I thought of an alternative plan; go to 5 Guys. The line moved quickly and I ordered the Bacon Cheese Burger (2 patties which they call out to let the cook know how many meat slabs to get ready) and their humongous fries. My order was ready in a flash and before I knew it I was swimming in the meat lovers pond. The fries were there only as a diversion.

Long live the guilty pleasure that is two freshly grilled beef patties, slabs of cheese, grilled onions, bacon and a mound of crisp garden vegs. In the immortal words of Doug Hefrenen (King of Queens) "If loving meat is wrong, I don't want to be right".

1 comment:

Max Sartin said...

Amen to that. My ancestors didn't claw their way to the top of the food chain just to eat roast tofurky on Thanksgiving!