Friday, December 4, 2009

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty

Breaking News - Your Cat May Not be as Lazy as You Thought



Let me start out by saying I am not a huge fan of cats. That said I still think this article in the front section of the Salt Lake Tribune (My Favorite Paper) is a lot funnier than it was intended to be.



The article describes a study of 50 cats fitted with cameras that had their activities tracked while their owners were out of the house. The article draws the conclusion from the camera pictures that the cats were't as lazy as originally thought because they spent only 6 percent of their time during the study sleeping.

The rest of the time was spent interacting with other pets (12%), climbing on chairs (8%), looking at TVs, DVDs or other media (6%), hiding under tables (6%), playing with toys (5%) and eating or looking at food (4%). The most time consuming CATegory (sorry) was looking out of windows at 22%.

First of all that only adds up to 69%. What did the cats do for almost a full third of the time that wasn't recorded? Maybe the study monitors (probably old ladies) were sleeping? Secondly if I was looking out the window, looking at TV's DVDs or other media, hiding under tables or eating or looking at food you could safely say I was being lazy.

I think I need a cat nap.

No comments: