Thursday, August 26, 2010

Go Lynx Baseball

Well, things seem to be going wrong all over so I thought I would share this story I read recently about a local sports team.

The Salt Lake Lutheran Lynx baseball team almost had to cancel their season because they had less than 9 players signed up to play.  The coach asked the student body, all 55 of them, if someone would join the team to make up a squad.

They got enough responses so that they could field a full team with 3 subs (12 players in all).  Some had never played baseball or softball before.  The pitcher hadn't pitched, ever, until the day before their first game.  One kid had never been to a baseball game. 

The coach didn't hold tryouts, he just played catch with them.  If they could catch the ball they played infield, if not, outfield. 

This would be disheartening for most.  Especially since they lost their first game 39 - 2 and their second game 24 -2.  But these kids say they're having fun.  They enjoy learning the game and look forward to the next contest.

They didn't appear to have any dreams of playing pro ball, they weren't looking for scouts in the stands, they just wanted to play baseball.  I thought those days were gone, when guys played because it was fun. 

Although the Lynx are from Salt Lake Lutheran High (4020 South 900 East) they are practicing at Lindsay Gardens (8th Avenue and M Street), upper field, and will have their games there most likely.  If you want to make sure call the school before a game and ask where they will be playing. I talked to Patty, she was very helpful.  Their phone number is (801) 266-6676.

The Lynx's next 4 games are all at Lindsey Gardens (8th Ave and M St.), upper field on Wednesday, Sept 8 at 4:00 pm vs. St. Joseph, Wednesday, Sept 15 at 4:00 pm vs. Intermountain Christian, Friday, Sept 17 at 4:00 pm vs West Ridge Academy and Friday, Sept 24 at 4:00 pm vs. Christian Heritage.

"Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!

We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man;
Anyone can understand the way I feel.

Chorus:
Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today;
Put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today;
Look at me, I can be centerfield.

Well, I spent some time in the mudville nine, watchin’ it from the bench;
You know I took some lumps when the mighty casey struck out.
So say hey willie, tell ty cobb and joe dimaggio;
Don’t say "it ain’t so", you know the time is now.

Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes
You know I think it’s time to give this game a ride.
Just to hit the ball and touch ’em all - a moment in the sun;
(pop) it’s gone and you can tell that one goodbye!"

Lyrics to song "Centerfield" by John Fogarty

No comments: