Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pat's BBQ - A Review

We went to Pats BBQ just south of 21st South and west of West Temple yesterday for an early lunch. I've heard lots of good things about this place and wanted to try it. I was disappointed. I know it had a lot to live up to but I thought it could have been better.

Maybe it was that I have created a lot of good BBQ myself. I know it takes a lot of time and effort and I haven't made it for commercial production, but from Pat's reputation, I expected more than what I got.

The food was good, it wasn't great. It was like chain restaurant food. High quality chain restaurant food. It compared to Good Wood in Draper (a project from the local Chilli's Restaurants). The BBQ was done well but with a factory or institutional quality. I had both the ribs and chicken so I wouldn't base my opinion on just one dish. The ribs didn't have any bark, you know, that black crispy outside that says it has touched flames for a long time. Both the ribs and chicken had a standard sort of flavor. The rub was good but not distinctive. The cole slaw was standard without any flair. The corn bread was dry although my wife liked it.

It was as if a little white boy took out a sheet that told him exactly what to do and he followed it to the letter. I will bet my culinary expertise these was no brother drinking whiskey into the wee hours of the morning tending the fire and mopping the ribs as a true pit master would.

The atmosphere was funky and lived up to its reputation but the food was just good. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: