Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Resolution

It's kind of like thinking about your age on your birthday. Every time the year clicks over my mind goes to those things that were, that might have been and what I want to accomplish next year. I would like to change this and relax more.

As Billy Crystal in "City Slickers" laments, in part, in a long monologue at his son's school for career day "don't let these days pass you by". Of course he is talking to 4th graders and most of it goes way over their heads, but it is a really funny part in a really funny movie.

I heard a really good message on Sunday about how to view the next year. It was to look at the new year as a view through your windshield. Your rear view mirror is by comparison very small because it is meant to provide a glimpse to the rear, the majority of your focus should be forward. I like that analogy. I will endeavor to look ahead and not dwell on the past. I will further endeavor to be positive, love all, be nice (some who know me will bet against this), listen more, talk less and follow my heart.

Stuff, some of it not so nice, is going to happen. What I do about it is up to me. I can't prevent it from happening, but I can help how it affects me.

I will try not to get to anxious. This too may be a long shot. Life takes time and a lot of the truly blessed things that have happened to me have not been because they were expected but have come as a surprise.

As someone much more profound than me once said "Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery and today is a gift. That is why they call it the present". I endeavor to treat my life more as a present.

No comments: